Saturday, March 14, 2009

Pi (π) Day

Today is Pi Day. π is one of the most important mathematical and physical constants, and is the basis of many formulae from mathematics, science, and engineering. It is also an irrational number, which I like the sound of.

Back in the days of school I was not a fan of mathematics. It was always my worst subject, the bane of my homework existence. Algebra and calculus? Why would I ever need to know any of that crap? Of course, as I got older and wiser I began to see the usefulness of math in my everyday life. When I began jacking beats and constructing little songs in the late '90s it became apparent to me how mathematical music is - I mean, it's all about numbers. As a result I have a bit more respect for math, although if I had homework I'd probably still be hating on it.

Pi is also a great movie by Darren Aronofsky that is all about math and how it is everywhere in life. Just don't let it drive you to drill a hole in your head, OK?

__________

Here are a few of my favorite numerical numbers...

Kate Bush - π (Pi)
Kraftwerk - Numbers
De La Soul - The Magic Number
Princess - Say I'm Your Number One
Steely Dan - Rikki Don't Lose That Number

5 comments:

SteveA said...

Thanks for the Steely Dan post. I have this album on vinyl and always loved this song. You also have 2 of my other faves here - de la soul and princess.

Cheers!

Unknown said...

Great blog here- I dig your mixtapes! Numbers has to be one of my favourite electronic songs of all time...

Gabriel Crespo said...

Its been a year since I didn’t pass by your blog. Many things have changed, even my taste for funk.
Congrats for your exquisite tunes selection and thanks for guiding me to some valuable downloads.
Perhaps I might recommend a very fresh pop band from Norway which lately has made my walks in sunny Barcelona a delight. The band is one of the many that the eclectic artist, Erlend Oye has formed after Royksopp. Well, the name of the band is “The Whites Boy Alive” http://www.whitestboyalive.com/

Michael said...

@Gabriel

thanks!

re:The Whites Boy Alive - check out the third track here -

http://siart.blogspot.com/2009/03/funky-friday-playlist_13.html

;-)

Anonymous said...

Great Numeric jam post there!