Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Guilty Pleasures

I am a big fan of Beyoncé. When daughter #1 was born six and a half years ago I took off a month to stay home with the new babe. Afternoons were spent chilling on the couch, watching TRL on MTV. Destiny Child's second album The Writing's On The Wall was blowing up, and the video for Say My Name was on every day. I was hooked, and so was daughter #1. Four years later Beyoncé was solo, and killing us with Crazy In Love. I skipped out on the last Destiny's Child album - the singles didn't really impress me. This week B. dropped her new solo LP, B'Day. Lead single Deja Vu is a terrific, percussive jam produced by Rodney Jerkins that features a rap from boyfriend Jay-Z and also has some killer horn riffing - this album's Crazy In Love. Ring The Alarm is the song she performed on the MTV VMAs last week. It's a Swizz Beatz production that is full of alarm sirens, gritty processed vocals, and fierce attitude. Daughter #1 is liking it, Daughter #2 is shaking her booty, and the best thing of all is the lack of a "Parental Advisory" sticker on the front. It's a relatively trim 10 tracks that are mostly ballad free. Funktastic.

No comments: