Monday, August 21, 2006

JAMC Remastered

This year has been a real treat for reissues. Back in July Rhino put out the first five Jesus And Mary Chain albums. They are DualDiscs with videos and a special stereo mix on the DVD side. They are lacking in anything extra special - no bonus tracks and no 5.1 mix. I don't own the first two on CD so they were the ones I plunked my cash down for. Despite the bare bones approach I am very happy with these two discs - clean, crisp and loud!

When this came out in 1985 I was unimpressed. I read about how great it was but it just sounded like a bunch of noise. Well, duh. Now that I am older and (maybe) wiser I've come around to enjoy it's reverb drenched feedback and squall.
Just Like Honey


By 1987 they had lost their drummer Bobby Gillespie, and the new album was all about a more streamlined sound. The wall of noise was tuned down, the rhythms were drum machines, and finally you can really hear the songs. And what songs, eh?
April Skies
About You

Automatic, Honey's Dead and Stoned & Dethroned are also out now.

No comments: