Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Return The Gift

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

You probably already know that the original line-up of Gang Of Four have reunited. They played a few gigs in the UK last year and the buzz was good so they parlayed it into a world tour. They also went into the studio and re-recorded a bunch of their old songs. Return The Gift is the result. It's available in two flavors - the single disc with the re-recorded songs and a two disc version with a second disc of remixes by a whole slew of current acts. Here's the deal as I see it. It seems to me a fairly redundant move to go back and re-record your old songs, especially when the originals are held in such high regard by so many people. I mean really, what's the point? Are the versions going to be radically different? Of course, being a huge fan of the band and of the art of the remix, I knew I'd have to get the double disc set. I've listened to the first disc once - not enough to give you a good opinion, although first impressions left me feeling "a bit meh". It seemed like there wasn't a hell of a big difference. The remixes? I've played that disc ALOT. It's great. I enjoy all of the mixes on it - special mentions to Go Home Productions, Phones, Ladytron and The Others. My absolute fave is the Nick Zinner (Yeah Yeah Yeahs) remix of I Love A Man In A Uniform. I have to say I also like the re-recorded version of the song off of disc 1. It is a much tighter, louder take, although it lacks the lovely, soulful female backing vocals of the original. The remix rectifies that by inserting the ever awesome vocals of Karen O into the mix in their place. Nick scuffs up the track a bit, and to these ears, it's magic. Maybe one day I'll get around to listening to the rest of disc one, but for now I can't stop playing the remixes.
I Love A Man In A Uniform

I Love A Man In A Uniform (Yeah Yeah Yeahs Remix)

No comments: