Friday, June 03, 2005

Funky Friday - 3 Flavors Of Hip Hop

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Common has dropped a great new LP called Be with the help of hip-hop"s man of the hour Kanye West. It's a return to his trad roots after Electric Circus' more experimental vibe - I personally loved that album. Since Kanye's on board you're getting the freshest beats, the chipmunk vocal samples, the smooth soulful stylings, and Common's typically conscious flow. His heroes The Last Poets feature on the hard hitting The Corner, where they're telling the same stories from their different generational viewpoints. I love the beats on this track.

Gorillaz are back with another very entertaining album, Demon Days. Produced with DJ Dangermouse instead of Dan the Automator, it's funky and dark and apocalyptic. It also features a bunch of notable guests on vocals - Dennis Hopper, Shaun Ryder, Roots Manuva and De La Soul, who are on Feel Good Inc.. This is really more of a pop tune with a rap on it - it's got a great riff, and the video is a real beauty (it's on the bonus disc of the 2 disc version).
I love that Damon is able to get out of the Blur thing and do something so different. Another big record.

Also back in action this week are UK live band hip-hop crew The Herbaliser. Their new album Take London on NinjaTune hit shelves this week. It's their typically jazzy, cinematic take on hip hop - lot's of British gangster movie samples and several hard hitting raps from Jean Grae (and Roots Manuva again!) make this one a smash for me. She's on fire on Nah' Mean, Nah'm Sayin' which rides a super tight funk riff and has some awesome horns. Fantastic stuff, and a very good album.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love 'Feel Good Inc.', but why do the slower vocal bits remind me of a U2 (?) song I can't quite place? Have I just had too much wine?

Anonymous said...

It's very similar to Staring at the Sun, at least I think that's the tune.

Anonymous said...

Sorry--my comment doesn't relate to this post. When you posted Nobody, I suggested you check an older song called "Shades of Orange" he did with 2Mex. The mp3 is up right now on the blog Futurism Ain't Shit. Just figured you could cope it if you're still interested. Peace and hair grease...

Anonymous said...

Sorry---I meant cop it, but if you don't like it, it may be more like coping....you be the judge...

Jesse a.k.a. The Vicar said...

I agree...."Electric Circus" is my fave album of his too! Nice post!