Tuesday, February 15, 2005

I gaze, you gaze, let's all shoegaze

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Autolux are an LA trio of musicians who have all done time in other bands. Guitarist Greg Edwards was in Failure, drummer Carla Azar was in Ednaswap and singer Eugene Goreshter was in Maids Of Gravity. Their debut LP Future Perfect, produced by T Bone Burnett, came out last fall. It is a blazing set of indie rock, with My Bloody Valentine and Sonic Youth being the two obvious touchstones. While it doesn't really break any new musical ground, it rocks. The production is super clean, so you hear everything perfectly. Carla's drumming is a mighty, mighty thing, and the guitar riffs are loud and crusty. I was a fan of the original bunch of shoegazing acts in the late '80s and early '90s, so I still enjoy this kind of music. Subzero Fun has the perfect quite-loud-quiet-loud thing going, a nice dreamy melody and a catchy chorus. These guys are currently on the road in the US with Secret Machines, and next month will be opening for Ambulance LTD - a great, double shoegazer act lineup. I think I might have to check that out...

No comments: