Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Magazine...Where The Power Is

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
When Howard Devoto left The Buzzcocks in 1977, he made this announcment in reference to his old band and the punk scene in general - "what was once unhealthily fresh is now a clean old hat". Unimpressed by new wave, Magazine was his bid to try something else. Featuring Barry Adamson on bass, John McGeoch on guitar, Dave Formula on keys and John Doyle on drums, they created six albums of spooky, dramatic, arty, spy theme filled post-punk rock. I missed out on these records the first time around - too busy buying ABC and Human League records - and over the last few years have picked up about half of them. I love their sound, anchored by Barry Adamson's big bass riffs and McGeoch's searing guitar - such big talents around Howard Devoto's unique voice. This week I finally got my hands on the remastered "greatest hits" compilation Magazine...(Where The Power Is), and it's so nice to hear these songs loud and clear! Here are three of my faves...

Shot By Both Sides

The Light Pours Out Of Me

About The Weather

2 comments:

heath said...

this is awesome. I need more magazine.

Phil said...

shot... is easily one of the best singles of the era. have you heard the buzzcocks song that uses the same riff? i can't remember it's name at the moment. i saw magazine in their small tour of australia in 80 or 81. they played in a tired old venue where all the local bands played. and i hated them. they were just so professional and that grated me the wrong way - my punk / diy hangover.